Most dental plans participate in a calendar year system, which means that your benefits renew in January and end in December. There is typically a deductible to be met and a maximum amount your insurance will pay for treatment each year. Many dental plans fully cover preventative appointments, which means there is no out-of-pocket cost for you, while treatment procedures are typically paid at a percentage.
The amounts of deductibles, maximums, and percentage of coverage vary greatly with each different plan, even within the same insurance provider. Some important questions to ask about your own dental insurance plan are:
- What services, if any, are fully covered?
- Does my plan run on a calendar year?
- Is there a deductible associated with my plan?
- What is my maximum for the year?
- Is my provider in the network?